Meet the Warners
We are a local family whose farm has become surrounded by Purcellville growth, and we see the chance to do something meaningful with the land that can bring multiple layers of benefit to the Town and to the community.
We’ve been in the Western Loudoun community since the 1700’s. Before we moved to Warner Brook in 1960, we farmed the property which is now known as ‘The Barns’ winery in Hamilton. The Warner family farmed in and around that area for six generations. We’ve also been a part of the Purcellville community for over one hundred years. Our grandfather, Ambrose Warner, partnered with Ed Nichols in 1914 and opened the Nichols and Warner hardware store (now known as Nichols Hardware). From 1931 until 1947, our great uncle, Clifton Warner, owned what is now known as the Fireman’s Field / Bush Tabernacle complex. And our great grandfather, Eugene Monroe, was the first mayor of Purcellville (1908). Our father (Paul Warner) died in 2003, and our mother (Cecil Warner) died in 2012, leaving Bruce, Paula, Tina and Scott as the current owners of the Warner Brook property. Scott Warner and his wife Patty and kids live and vote in Purcellville, and Tina Warner lives and votes in Purcellville. Bruce and Linda Warner live near Richmond, and Paula and Dennis Barrett live near Ashburn.
Warner Brook Farm
Prior to 1963, the farm was literally on the other side of the tracks – there was no development prior to that time north of the W&OD railroad tracks, now the W&OD Bike Trail. First came the Purcellville residential development in the Fenton subdivision, then the development along Loudoun Valley Drive, which ultimately quadrupled in size when Dominion Valley was added. Then came the by-pass.
The route 7 by-pass was completed in 1985, impacting 42 acres of Warner Brook farmland. 30 acres was taken for the road, while an additional 12 acres (south of the by-pass) was separated from the farm making it unfeasible for further agriculture. Subsequently, Hirst Road was built to reduce traffic through the town of Purcellville and to provide easy access to what was to become the industrial parks.
After the by-pass and Hirst Road were completed, next came the industrial complexes at the intersection of Hirst and Hatcher Roads, along with the Valley Industrial Park (Nichols Lane), all within immediate eyesight and earshot of Warner Brook Farm. These provided much needed and/or enjoyed services for Purcellville’s businesses and citizens. However, residents didn’t want them in town, so these aspects of Purcellville growth went out beside Warner Brook (lumber yard, medical building, auto body shops, auto repair shops, fast food, bank, storage units, breweries, etc.). Next came Woodgrove High School. Most recently, the annexation of the Mayfair development became Warner Brook’s newest neighbor with a mix of residential and light industrial uses next door.
Warner Brook was once was a dairy farm located out in the country on the other side of the tracks approximately one mile from what was then the center of town. Now Warner Brook is bordered on two sides by the Town of Purcellville’s light industrial, commercial, and residential developments.